Tuesday 21 August 2012

CAN WE POLE DANCE TO A CENTURY?

People who know me know that I love old people, especially old ladies. They're just people who are almost magical because they have all these secrets and all this knowledge locked away from years and years of experience in life, love and loss, and they always seems to have this awesome ability to just accept everything that life throws at them with a sense of calm and dignity.

I came across this article and I had to share with you. 

It made me think about how these ladies have experienced life in a world we will never ever know. Wars, lack of health care, lack of public support systems or education, and they fought through a time when women were regarded very differently to how they are today. 

These are just three women who have shared their stories, but I couldn't help noticing the common thread in each of their stories. Something they attribute to their living to the ripe age of beyond-a-hundred-years...BEING ACTIVE!

Whether it's yoga, athletics or ping pong, these gorgeous lassies all tout getting off their butts as a contributing factor to their living longer.

Ruth is 102, lives with her daughter in the GC and took up athletics when she was in her 70s. The only thing she doesn't like about herself? Her red hair and freckles! Sister, I feel your pain, but you should totally accept yourself...and always wear your SPF30+

   We already know how amazing pole dancing is for increasing bone density and physical exercise certainly seems to be the secret to a long healthy life, so I'm going to take a leaf out of the book of Bet, Dot and Ruth and keep on swinging for as long as I can.

See you at 100!

No comments:

Post a Comment